C&C 2022 Call for Papers
Call for Participation
Creativity and Cognition 2022 invites papers papers that focus on various forms of creativity from creativity-support environments and computing technologies to their interplay with innovative forms and experiences of art, craft and design. We encourage submissions that explore creative practices including technologies, designs, art and craft and address how creativity manifests itself in our daily lives. We also invite submissions that explore how art, craft and design inspires connectedness and survival for individuals and society in the face of the global pandemic. The call is aligned with this year’s conference theme: “Creativity, Craft, and Design”.
The theme highlights how human and computational aspects of creativity can beneficially impact our communities and cultures, and how human experience impacts and is impacted by processes of creatively forming and solving problems, designing spaces, and building new possibilities. We invite submissions that address any and all human senses, including visual, sonic, tangible, olfactory, and somaesthetic modalities. We invite new approaches to and forms of data, such as first-person and visual methods, and text analysis, as well as qualitative and quantitative data methodologies typically employed in human-computer interaction research.
We will incorporate options for virtual attendance and paper presentations. As in related conferences, papers will be reviewed based on the significance of the contribution, originality, validity, the soundness of the arguments.
We welcome high-quality submissions on a range of topics including, but not limited to:
- Creativity support environments and computing technologies designed to foster, promote, improve, and increase creative experiences, processes, products, and services
- Supporting, nurturing, embracing creativity in art, craft and design
- Capturing, representing, and analyzing creative processes
- Creativity in the face of global pandemic
- A variety of creative phenomena of individuals and/or society
- Gaming technologies that support new forms of play or creative learning
- Virtual and mixed reality technologies that provoke creativity or amplify cognition
- Studies of creativity applications to different domains such as learning, work, wellbeing, health, entertainment
- Theoretical reflection on creativity
- Investigations of curation practices, platforms, and environments, in contexts from everyday to scholarly to museums
- Research on collaboration, crowdsourcing and micro-task activities
- Studies of social media and how it impacts individual and social relatedness
- New methodologies and theories for evaluating the impact of computing on creativity
- Studies evaluating creativity in diverse contexts such as work with underserved communities, longitudinal studies, and cross-cultural contexts
- Title & abstract submission deadline: January 10th, 2022 January 17th, 2022, 11:59 PM (AOE: Anywhere on Earth time)
- Paper submission deadline: January 24th, 2022, 11:59 PM (AOE: Anywhere on Earth time)
- Notifications: March 28th, 2022
- Camera-Ready Completion deadline: May 2nd, 2022
Deadlines are specified as Anywhere on Earth time. The submissions site will open in December, 2021.
There are two types of paper submissions: full papers and short papers. Both should be submitted in the ACM SIGCHI submission template format (SIGCHI ACM new, standardized single-column format). Papers must be submitted in PDF. Full papers should be between 4000 and 8000 words in length, excluding titles, references and figure/table captions. Short papers should be up to 4000 words in length, excluding titles, references and figure/table captions. We encourage authors to submit papers of length proportional to their contributions.
The total size of all submitted materials, including a video figure, should not exceed 100 MB. If you are unsure of what constitutes a well-formed paper, see the many examples in the ACM Digital Library for our conference, including examples of C&C Best Papers.
It is important that your submission is formatted correctly. Incorrectly formatted submissions might be rejected. Online guidance is available from the ACM at: https://www.acm.org/publications/authors/submissions. Examples of formatted submissions to last year’s C&C conference can be found here. If you have questions, or are seeking guidance about formatting your submission, you can either fill out the form on the publication support portal at https://publication2022.hipporello.net/desk or write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submissions will be made through the Precision Conference website. For details see below (“Where to Submit” section).
Accepted full and short papers will be included in the Proceedings of Creativity and Cognition 2022, and will become available in ACM Digital Library.
All papers must be anonymized for review. Author and affiliation sections and credits must be left blank. Authors of accepted submissions will add this information in preparation of the “camera-ready” version. We are using the ACM CHI Anonymization Policy of blind reviewing. We use a relaxed model that does not attempt to conceal all traces of identity from the body of the paper. Authors are expected to remove author and institutional identities from the title and header areas of the paper, as noted in the submission instructions (Note: changing the text color of the author information is not sufficient). Also, please make sure that identifying information does not appear in the document’s meta-data (e.g., the ‘Authors’ field in your word processor’s ‘Save As’ dialog box). Authors should cite their own work in the third person, e.g., avoid “As described in our previous work , … ” and use instead “As described by , …”
As a published ACM author, you and your co-authors are subject to all ACM Publications Policies, including ACM’s new Publications Policy on Research Involving Human Participants and Subjects.
Where to Submit
Please submit via the Precision Conference (PCS) website below:
Once you have logged into the PCS website, select the following options (which will become available early next year) under “Submissions” and click the Go button.
- Society: SIGCHI
- Conference/Journal: Creativity & Cognition 2022
- Track: Creativity & Cognition 2022 Papers
Video figures (optional)
Papers follow a rigorous blind peer review process. This process is managed by the Creativity & Cognition 2022 Program Committee. Confidentiality of submissions is maintained throughout the review process. Each paper will be reviewed by two PC members along with two external reviewers.